Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pretty Pink Soup

Guess I'd better catch up with my sister and finally add something to this blog of ours! So here's what we had for dinner tonight. I used up the last remaining veggies left in the garden and whipped up a batch of my favorite soup. Yummy! I don't use a recipe, I just try to make it taste like my Russian mamushka's soup. I started by sauteeing onions and garlic in olive oil, added chopped carrots, celery, a little bell pepper, potatoes, cabbage, a little zucchini, beets, tomatoes, and lots of fresh chopped dill. Add water and boullion, salt, pepper, a splash of balsamic vinegar, about a teaspoon of caraway seeds and about a tablespoon of brown sugar. Cook it all up until the veggies are just the right softness. You can't tell from the photos, but the broth is a lovely shade of pinky-magenta, due to the beets. Along with the soup, Stephanie made a pan fried pioneer bread and Tom made a salad, also with veggies from the garden and a tasty vinagrette. Mmm, I'm getting hungry all over again! --L

No comments: