Thursday, April 17, 2008

This Room Ain't Got No View

Masterpiece Theatre this week was a masterpiece disappointment. Their recent BBC production was an adaptation of E.M. Forester's A Room With A View proved to be completely lame. That's right, I said lame. Of course, why would anyone try to improve perfection? I'm speaking of the 1986 version starring Maggie Smith, Helena Bonham Carter, Daniel Day-Lewis, and many other great British actors. I was hoping that the new version would at least be decent and not be a complete disaster. How could I have possibly liked a version where Mr. Beebe grumbles, George seems to have a lisp, and I don't even know what was going on Cecil? You really let me down this week PBS, but that won't keep me from watching every future episode of Masterpiece Theatre! Does anyone else have such strong feelings on the topic? I would love to hear your comments. Anyways, back to the real world... which does not include taking carriage rides through Italian countryside... sigh. -S

1 comment:

VOGUE VIGILANTE said...

I haven't seen the new version but the 80's version is so perfect, the idea of a remake makes me downright peevish! --L